Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Sunday 13 January 2013

Where There Is Cake, There Is Hope...

“Where there is cake, there is hope. And there is always cake.” 
― Dean Koontz




I love this quote - I find it so warming, and now I've found my 'calling' so to speak, it rings even more true to me. I studied Dance at university, and have spent the eight years since trying to carve a path for myself in the business world, before realising that I just didn't care enough about what I did. I wish I could say that I went on some long journey of self discovery to decide finally to start taking classes for cake decorating and tentatively try and forge a career in this field, but I didn't. What happened was I woke one Saturday morning, turned on the TV to watch Saturday Kitchen, questioned why all cookery shows seem to compete on using the most far out ingredients and techniques (even the ones that claim to be 'Quick', 'Fast' and 'Easy' use things that no normal person keeps in their store cupboard) and literally within 3 hours I had formed an idea, decided on a name, and started to type out ideas for a book. 


I've been writing this little blog for just over four months now, and I'm just about starting to realise both the joys of sharing, and just how how much inspiration can be found online. I love reading other people's blogs, seeing little glimpses into their lives (I have seen more ways to refer to 'him indoors' than I thought were possible!), and above all seeing the absolutely infinite possibilities when it comes to creating a recipe, decorating a cake, or putting a home-spun feel to a gift.

And not just blogs, but Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest all hold a wealth of images and ideas, that, particularly for a baker and cake decorator are limitless. I have tagged, saved, pinned, and re-tweeted so many ideas that I honestly don't think I will ever get chance to re-create them all even if I bake every day until I am 100! 


A few blogs that I have found myself drawn to recently I am going to list here, because I think if you like mine at all, you will enjoy these;

http://birdonacake.blogspot.co.uk/ - Jam packed with amazing decorating ideas and some really easy to read tutorials - I found this blog through a few pictures on Pinterest and signed up straight away.

http://thebakingexplorer.blogspot.co.uk/ - I love this blog - I stumbled upon it looking at posts about the last series of The Great British Bake Off, and I find it really honest and easy to identify with.

http://royalcakesla.com/ - OK, so not quite a blog, but these guys are INCREDIBLE! If I ever get half as good at this in my designs I will be one happy lady! Check them out on Facebook or Instagram when you have ten minutes.

My last quote of the night - another internet find, and a perfect one at that!

“A slice of cake never made anyone fat. You don't eat the whole cake. You don't eat a cake every day of your life. You take the cake when it is offered because the cake is delicious. You have a slice of cake and what it reminds you of is someplace that's safe, uncomplicated, without stress. A cake is a party, a birthday, a wedding. A cake is what is served on the happiest days of your life.” 
― Jeanne RayEat Cake

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your comments about my blog! I haven't been doing my blog for very long either (about 5 months) and I'm thrilled to hear you like it and recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Wow, you've come a long way in 5 months then, I'm still getting the hang of things I think! Keep up the good work :)

      Delete
  2. You're welcome! Wow, you've come a long way in 5 months then, I'm still getting the hang of things I think! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I found you- through Laura Loves Cakes- and that I popped by! You have a lovely little blog and I'm going to make me a cuppa and start going through you past posts :) Love finding new bakey blogs!

    *waves hello* from a new follower, Hazel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hazel! So lovely to get such positive feedback! :) x

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor