Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Monday 6 January 2014

Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks

Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks

Throughout the winter months, one of my favourite things is a Sunday roast. When the warm weather comes around, we trade in our roasts for barbecues, fresh salads and and lazy afternoons in pub gardens, but the first waft of cool air in autumn, and my roasting pans come back out, and it's meat-and-two-veg all the way. 

As like most people I expect, our routines have been slightly out of sync over Christmas, at one point I was convinced that every day was Sunday. Fortunately the days have just about organised themselves again, and yesterday we were happily back into the Sunday roast routine once more. 

This is my recipe for two wonderfully succulent, melt-in-the-mouth lamb shanks, just multiply the ingredients for 4 or 6 as needed...

Ingredients

2 lamb shanks
4 tbsp plain flour
1 tsp olive oil
1 leek, roughly chopped
1 medium onion, roughly chopped
6 cloves garlic, peeled but whole
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
4 sprigs rosemary
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
rock salt to taste
200ml red wine
300ml chicken stock
2 tsp cornflour

Method
  • Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees
  • Use the flour to coat the lamb shanks, and knock off any excess
  • Heat the oil in a casserole dish on the hob, then sear the meat on all sides. Remove from the pan and set aside
  • Add the leek, onion, carrots and garlic to the pan, and cook for around 5 minutes until softened
  • Add the rosemary sprigs and peppercorns and stir, add sea salt to taste

  • Pour in the red wine and chicken stock
  • Bring to a simmer, then return the lamb shanks to the pan
  • Take the casserole dish and cover with foil, or the pan lid
  • Place in the oven and slow cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, until the meat is tender and falls away from the bone
  • Remove from the oven, take the lamb shanks out and put onto serving plates
  • Return the casserole dish containing the sauce to the hob on a low heat, mix the cornflour with a little water, then stir into the sauce to thicken
  • Pour the sauce over the shanks, and serve with creamy mash and fresh vegetables


As this dish is full of good things, I am linking it up with this month's Feel Good Food - it made us feel very good!


I'm also linking into a new challenge hosted by Fuss Free Flavours and Utterly Scrummy called Extra Veg, as not only did this dish have leeks, onions and carrots in, but we served it up with some very al dente broccoli!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor