Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Monday 1 July 2013

July's Breakfast Club Challenge


For a lot of people, and I include myself in that to some extent, 'Continental Breakfast' means the selection at the end of the buffet table in a hotel with a scattering of limp pastries, mini pots of jams, and an industrial sized tub of muesli. Most of my experience of the continental breakfast I will be honest has been in the Brewer's Fayre type eateries attached to Premier Inn's when I've been away on business, although I still vividly remember being three years old, and on an all inclusive holiday in Spain, where the morning slice of ham on toast seemed like the most exotic thing I'd ever eaten, compared to my everyday bowl of Rice Crispies! 

A recent trip to Brussels however for a work conference, introduced me to the heavenly taste of freshly made Belgian Waffles for breakfast, hot off the waffle iron, and dusted in icing sugar, and when I got home I made it my mission to read up on the European idea of breakfast, rather than relying on the British interpretation. And whilst there are some commonalities between each country, you only have to read Wikipedia's page outlining the different types of breakfast from around the world to get a feel for how cultural and climatic differences change what and how people eat breakfast. 

So, for this month's breakfast club, I'd like you to consider not just 'Continental' as a generic label, but some of the regional variations from all around Europe. I'm talking Belgian Waffles, French Pastries, Brioche, Crusty breads with meat and cheeses, German pumpernickel and Russian Pancakes! Let's take this chance to recreate a breakfast from a cherished holiday, tackle a new type of bread, or put a twist on a classic pastry.

As always...

  • Mention Breakfast Club in your post, and use the logo
  • Link back to this post, and to Helen at Fuss Free Flavours
  • You can link back old posts, just update them with the link to this challenge
  • You can enter as many times as you want
  • Entries close on the 28th July, and the round up will appear shortly after
  • Posts can be linked to other challenges too, just respect their individual rules
  • Links can be tweeted using #breakfastclub to @ThePantryDoor1 and @FussFreeHelen and we will RT any we see
  • Enter via the linky below, otherwise email the post to me at kickatthepantrydoor@gmail.com



6 comments:

  1. oooh I do love a continental breakfast... ! great theme x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom! This might just be the month I attempt to make croissants for the first time!

      Delete
  2. A great theme for this month, I shall get my thinking cap on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Elizabeth! There are so many options with this one, should be really interesting!

      Delete
  3. I really want to make pain au chocolat... this might be the kick I need to get on with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo yes! Looking forward to seeing those!

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor