Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Sunday 2 September 2012

A Kick At The Pantry Door

When I was a little girl, whenever I asked my Mum or Dad what was for tea, they would answer "A Kick At The Pantry Door". I believe that this is a South Yorkshire saying, although am unsure of the origin. In our house it came to mean a meal made out of whatever we could find in the pantry, and sometimes led to some very interesting concoctions!

Now I find it a fitting philosophy for the way I cook - I always start with a basic recipe in mind, but I like to experiment with ingredients based on what is in the house. Many recipes these days require all sorts of exotic and wonderful ingredients, but who really has Star Anise and Rice Wine Vinegar in the house all the time? So my recipes now are all about creating great tasting, home-cooked meals, with as little fuss and cost as possible, and maximum room for experimenting.

---

There is no sincerer love than the love of food.
George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor