Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Monday 21 October 2013

Titan's September Supper Club: Tarte Tatin

In September I was asked to take part in a new blogging challenge run by Titan Travel, called the Titan Supper Club. To raise awareness of their great travel deals, every month they host the supper club, inviting us all to take part in making one dish inspired by one of their travel destinations. For September, they chose an English/French fusion in the form of an Apple Tarte Tatin, and making the link to the launch of the latest series of the Great British Bake Off they chose a recipe from last year's runner up Brendan Lynch. You can find the full recipe here.

  
My Tarte Tatin waiting to be upturned

I will be honest and say that I was a little dubious about the recipe to start with, as it calls for strong bread flour in the rough puff pastry, and no less than 14 apples for the filling! It seemed a little excessive. Never the less, as part of the challenge is to follow the recipe to the letter, I carried on regardless.

The pastry dough came together as a very wet mixture, and again I wasn't sure that the quantities and method were entirely right, but I pulled the mixture together, formed it into a ball and wrapped it in clingfilm to refrigerate as instructed. 

The finished Tarte Tatin ready to be served


Low and behold, after resting in the fridge for an hour, the dough had a very smooth and elastic texture, score one to Mr Lynch!

The issues that I did have however were around the lack of detail in the recipe, no size of tin, or temperature for the oven were given. I don't own a specific tarte tatin dish, and used a large flan dish, however the lower lip allowed a lot of the juices and caramel to run over the side when cooking, and resulted in a HUGE oven cleaning operation the day after... 

Spiced Caramel Apples and Flaky Pastry

All this being said however, the proof really is in the pudding, and neither me nor Gary could fault the taste and texture of this dish, the spices were just right, and the rough puff pastry held firm under the soft fruits. We ate it hot with some Cornish Butterscotch Ice Cream and it was a serious delight on a cold rainy September day.

I really enjoyed taking part in the Titan Supper Club, now we just need to book a holiday! 
Served with Cornish Butterscotch Ice Cream
Disclosure: I received the cost of ingredients to make the dish featured in this post. All opinions expressed are my own. 

2 comments:

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor