Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Saturday 13 July 2013

Amaretto, Chocolate and Raspberry Mousse

This is a quick dessert I knocked up a couple of evenings ago, when Gary and I had a craving for something sweet. It is a simple enough to make chocolate mousse, made a little more sophisticated with the addition of sweet amaretto and sharp raspberries. I used frozen raspberries in this for two reasons, firstly, because the raspberries I had were frozen, but secondly because they are easy to crumble when frozen to sprinkle over the top of the mousse pots. 


Ingredients

100 grams dark chocolate
2 eggs, separated
2 tablespoons amaretto
1/2 tablespoon golden caster sugar
50 grams frozen raspberries


Method

  • Break the chocolate into pieces, place in a heatproof bowl and melt over a bain-marie.
  • Remove the bowl from the heat, and beat in the egg yolks and amaretto until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
  • In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar and whisk again until the mixture turns glossy. 
  • Add the stiffened egg whites to the melted chocolate mixture in three parts, stir the mixture as little as possible so as not to know out the air, whilst still ensuring that both parts are fully combined. 
  • To assemble, divide the raspberries between four ramekins, reserving a few to decorate the tops of the mousse. 
  • Divide the mousse between the ramekins. Finish by crushing the reserved raspberries, and sprinkling over the top of the mousse. I also added a few white chocolate stars at this point. 
  • Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving to give time to set. 

This recipe made 4 decent sized ramekins. We ate one each that night, and the mousse does set well within a couple of hours, however the two we ate the following night however were much firmer, so if you can make these in advance then do. Either way, I promise that they won't last long!



6 comments:

  1. choc and raspberries are a divine combo, I love the look of this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom! Perfect mid-week treat if I do say so! x

      Delete
  2. These sound delicious! Could other alcohol be used too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! You could add anything to the mousse base, alcohol, or even an extract such as peppermint or orange to change up the flavours. :-)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor