Hi! Welcome to my blog. I am a major foodie, with a haphazard cooking philosophy, currently making that transition from cooking and baking for friends and family to 'wonder if I could make this my career'. Follow me for recipes, the outcomes of a few experiments, and general lovely foodiness. Opinions, reviews and recommendations are all my own.

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Rocky Road Ice Cream and Finding My Mojo

It's fair to say that my blogging mojo has been somewhat depleted this month. I can't put my finger on why, maybe it's the heat, but then I've still been baking and cooking up a storm. Whatever the reason, I had a piece of good news this week that has gone some way to restoring my self-confidence and therefore I think my mojo may be back. I have a back log of recipes ready to be uploaded, all of which were planned to be linked up to challenges before the end of this month, so hold onto you hats because they are going to be coming thick and fast over the next few days! 

Oh, and what was the good news I hear you ask... my recipe for Teriyaki Beef Burgers only went and blooming won the Kikkoman recipe challenge! I cannot tell you how surprised and overwhelmed I am to have won, especially as the competition was seriously stiff (check out the two runner up entries) but it seems the judges liked burgers! (well who doesn't really...) 

So back to the main content of this post. This month's We Should Cocoa challenge, hosted by Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog, is Ice Cream. There are two things you should know about my entry. Firstly, after making Elizabeth's Kitchen Diary's Mint Choc Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, I am a convert to condensed milk based no-churn ice cream, and will never look back. 

Rocky Road Ice Cream frozen in a Silicone Muffin Pan for easy portions

Secondly, I had a flash of inspiration a while back regarding the freezing of ice cream, and used a silicone muffin pan to freeze this ice cream into individual straight-from-the-freezer portions - the result - no mess, no waiting for ice cream to thaw before the scoop will work, you just pop a portion out of the silicone and away you go! (Plus it also helps little piglets like me with their portion control, no more eating half a tub by accident!) 

When I made the Mint Choc Chip Ice Cream I also experimented with using a silicone bundt tin. This also works really well, you can turn out the frozen ice cream onto a serving plate as a centrepiece dessert for a dinner party, much more elegant than the tub don't you think, and then serve in easy slices! 

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream frozen in a Silicone Bundt Tin
Here is my recipe for no-churn Rocky Road Ice Cream, the below makes approx 1/2 litre Ice Cream...

Ingredients

200 grams condensed milk
300 ml double cream
100 grams dark chocolate
100 grams chocolate chips
50 grams mini marshmallows
50 grams chopped nuts
50 grams raisins

Method

Melt the dark chocolate, 30 seconds in the microwave should do it. You don't need to worry about tempering the chocolate, as it doesn't need to re-set, however be careful not to let it burn. 

Whisk together the condensed milk and double cream to soft peaks. Add the melted chocolate and whisk until fully combined. Add the chocolate chips, marshmallows, nuts and raisins, and stir through. 

Pour the mixture into whatever container you have decided to use, and freeze for at least 4 hours. 

Individual Portion of No-Churn Rocky Road Ice Cream
This is my entry for July's We Should Cocoa


7 comments:

  1. Me too! for me its the heat,I couldn't stand the heat....so i got&stayed out of the kitchen. Thanks of the easy recipe....if i wanted a hazelnut flavour do you think using chopped hazlenuts would give a strong enough flavour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I would say for hazelnut you either need to use a syrup, or even better make a quick praline (heat nuts and sugar in a pan to form a caramel, let it set the blitz it to a powder) and use the powder to flavour the ice cream. Remember that flavours dull when frozen, so the taste needs to be strong to start with. :-)

      Delete
  2. The perfect recipe for the heat! I love ice cream. You are onto something here with freezing it in silicone cases, great idea! Congrats on the Kikkoman win too - very well deserved and I'm really pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! I can't believe I only just discovered the condensed milk way of making ice cream - it is seriously so easy, and apart from the condensed milk and cream, everything else is open to change to whatever flavour you wanted! x

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Victoria. I hope your prize is a good one. Love your tip for using silicone moulds for freezing ice-cream. Why didn't I think of that with my complete inability to get a half decent scoop of ice-cream? Your rocky road sounds fabulous, I can't begin to imagine what frozen marshmallows are like. Thanks for entering this delight into We Should Cocoa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing prize - a new set of kitchen knifes - all I want to make are stirfrys so I have and excuse to chops loads of things up! Glad you like the entry, and do try the silicone tip - it will change your life! (or at least the ice cream serving part of your life!) x

      ps - the marshmallows don't really freeze, so just stay as gooey little treats inside the ice cream!

      Delete

Hi! Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I'd love to hear your thoughts, so please leave me a comment - I always try to reply as soon as possible.

You can also find me on;
Facebook: www.facebook.com/pantrydoor
Twitter: @ThePantryDoor1
Pinterest: thepantrydoor